Too much weight is currently on my shoulders, and I would love to work with dedicated writers and artists. These will all be unpaid positions– but positions I hope will reward their applicants with pride and experience. Listed below are positions available. (There is a guide for how to apply at the bottom of the page.)
- At least 1 year of editing experience, and/ or ridiculously proficient spelling, grammar and punctuation skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Degrees in publishing/ creative writing and speaking a second language are both bonuses
- MUST be able to operate WordPress
- Very reachable over social media
- Must speak English as a first language
- Reliable access to computer and internet connection
- Post on blog AT LEAST once a week
- Develop new ideas for regular blog columns
- Remain in contact with Chief Editor over social media/ e-mail
- Promote events, blog posts, and competitions that The Drowning Gull has done or hosted.
Positions marked with * are the positions I most want people to apply for.
HOW TO APPLY
If you want to apply, please follow these steps:
1) Put your name and the position you are applying for in the subject line of your e-mail, addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) Write a cover letter in the body of your e-mail, detailing a couple of publications and why you want to be a member of staff at The Drowning Gull. Let your personality shine through.
3) Attach two samples of your work- relevant to the position you are applying for- as either a jpeg or a word document. If you’re applying for the art position, we’ll allow a few more than 2 art samples. If you’re applying for the Managing Editor position, attach 2 samples of work in the genre you like most. Bloggers can link to any blog posts they’ve done, or submit fiction/nonfiction writing samples.
4) Wait for a response. One should come in only a couple of days.
I can’t wait to hear from you! Here are some perks to being a member of staff to get you excited:
- Insight into the issues before they come out
- Insight into how you can improve your own craft
- No travel involved (they’re all remote positions).